Olympique Marseille 0-0 Guingamp

Olympique de Marseille came into the match looking for their first win at the Stade Vélodrome since mid-September, but En Avant de Guingamp, with ESTAC Troyes the only team below them in the league at kick-off, sat deep frustrating the hosts in the first half.

But for an early Georges-Kévin N’koudou chance which was saved by the foot of Jonas Lössl in the Guingamp goal (2′), OM were kept at bay despite boasting nearly 65 percent of possession in the opening 30 minutes. EAG’s solid 4-4-2 shape, which saw Marcus Coco and Jimmy Briand take it in turns to drop into midfield to give the visitors ten bodies behind the ball, meant the hosts were reduced to shots from range, the closest of those being another N’koudou chance which curled wide midway through the half (21′).

Lössl heroics

OM’s frustration grew just past the half-hour mark when they were shorn of the creative talents of Lucas Ocampos after the Argentine picked up an ankle injury (36′). Despite that setback, Javier Manquillo nearly broke the deadlock with half-time approaching, but after racing into the Guingamp box the Spaniard was stopped in his tracks by Lössl, who was adjudged to have challenged fairly by referee Fredy Fautrel (43′).

Marseille continued to pile on the pressure in the second half, with Rolando rising highest to meet an Abdelaziz Barrada corner before seeing his header cannon back off the Guingamp crossbar (48′).

Nearly an hour had passed before Guingamp – on the losing end in their previous five matches – mustered the courage to attempt something at the other end. Younousse Sankharé found enough space to get a shot off in the OM area, but it flew wide of Steve Mandanda’s goal (58′).

Erding debut

Mevlut Erding was signed on loan from Hannover 96 over the winter break, and the Turkey striker was given his Guingamp debut when he came off the bench for Thibault Giresse (74′). With Coco dropping into midfield Erding was isolated though, and he had little time to impress, and had to wait until the final minute to test Mandanda.

At the other end Marseille tried to break the deadlock with a Barrada free-kick, but his effort was punched clear by Lössl before Mauricio Isla flashed the rebound over the bar (80′). Guingamp could have snatched the points when Yannis Salibur sent another free-kick towards goal, but it drifted wide (85′). Mandanda, this week confirmed he would stay with Les Phocéens at least until the end of his season, showed his importance in the dying minutes, acrobatically saving when Lars Jacobsen had carved out a chance (89′), before doing enough to put Erding off a close-range header from a Briand cross (90′) and it ended 0-0.